Thursday, September 22, 2005

On Czars and Viceroys

There is excellent exposition on troubling diction to be found at the blog of frequent commenter Nathan Kaufman. His conclusion:

The U.S. should look to words and ideas from U.S. history as guides. The U.S. should not borrow ideas from fallen societies or less-than-ideal situations. I don't know about you... but I want to live in a country with governors, mayors, presidents, elected representatives, competition, freedom and opportunity. A country with "czars" and "viceroys" is not appealing to me.
Read the whole thing.

Blogsearch Technorati


Bibamus said...

Let me add the term "homeland", as in, the Department of Homeland Security, to the list. For reasons that I assume are obvious, the term seems vaguely un-American.

dearieme said...

"czars" have been introduced into the UK by Mr Blair: the people appointed have proved ineffective but costly. Good word for them, then?