Wednesday, June 08, 2005


I feel sorry for Barbara Walters, whose remark about feeling uncomfortable at the sight of a woman breastfeeding on an airplane next to her set off the lastest wave of "lactivism." I guess I'm a lactivist, too. I think that mothers should not just be permitted but encouraged to breastfeed their infants and toddlers whenever and wherever the mothers deem it appropriate. It's not like a 6 month old can chew gum if the change in cabin pressure starts to bother him.

Ms. Walters only claims that she felt uncomfortable--there are some reports in the article linked above of people taking offense. If the sight of a mother breastfeeding a child in public offends your sensibilities, then I don't think there is much sense in your sensibilities. I'm glad to see that nursing moms are having "nurse-ins" near ABC and are lobbying other companies for more tolerant behavior. My favorite is Nurse-at-Starbucks (although I hope those lattes are decaf), and we've been contributors to La Leche League since we became parents.

Other blogs commenting on this post


JG said...

Lactivism! This sounds worthy of government support in the form of a tax subsidy.

Robert Schwartz said...

It makes Babaah WaWa uncomfortable? Good. I say we surround her with nuring babies.

iamamish said...

I for one am not offended, and certainly encourage breastfeeding, but I think I'd probably be a bit uncomfortable too if a woman sitting next to me started breastfeeding her baby. Feeling uncomfortable seems natural; it doesn't necessarily mean that one disapproves of breastfeeding.

Start a petition permitting women greater latitude in breastfeeding and I'll be the first to sign it, but I'll still probably be a bit uncomfortable with the process.