Friday, October 01, 2004

Last but not least, Brad DeLong's website

But reading only Powerline, or only Powerline and Andrew Sullivan, would greatly underutilize the blogosphere. Unlike the mainstream media, bloggers are allowed to have a bias. The best ones are honest about it.

When I read Powerline, I am pretty sure that I am going to get a conservative opinion. Because of the way I am wired, I will often agree with it. We should all be candid and admit that a lot of us read them so intently because they say more eloquently what we were thinking individually. Okay, fair enough, but that shouldn't be the end of it.

Another blog that I read daily is run by Brad DeLong, a macroeconomist and economic historian at U.C. Berkeley who has produced some excellent scholarship, served in the Treasury in the Clinton Administration, and developed his talent for writing about economics beyond an academic audience. I read Brad’s blog because I know that he is a liberal, that he makes good points, and that, chances are, I am not going to agree with the political ideas that he espouses. But I see common ground with him on a lot of important issues—his “Why Oh Why Can’t We Have a Better Press Corps?” postings have much to recommend them as commentary on the weaknesses in our mainstream media enterprises. Responsible use of the blogosphere requires that I seek out people with whom I disagree and try to understand their reasoning.

I'll close with a "thank you" to Brad for mentioning my new endeavor on his website yesterday.

No comments: